The Senior Program Manager is accountable for the management and delivery of the ECW grant for the North East of Syria. The Senior Program Manager will liaise closely with the UNICEF ECW PMU to ensure the MYRP delivers on its overall outcomes and reporting is presented in a comprehensive and coordinated fashion. In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
The Senior Program Manager will be responsible for the management of the grant ensuring:
- Selection of implementing agencies will be conducted in line with already agreed standards
- That all granted projects meet their overall planning objectives and specific key performance indicators as determined by the MYRP.
- The coordination of regular progress meetings with implementing agencies as well as with UNICEF ECW PMU.
- That the associated project management administrative functions, from the definition of criteria for awarding funds to final project completion reports, are taken care of.
The Senior Program Manager will also ensure:
- There is adequate performance management of the Program Management Unit staff, including the MEAL Coordinator, Finance Officer and Awards Officer.
- There is the appropriate communication and liaison with UNICEF in respect of project implementation. Furthermore, the Senior Program Manager will have also an important role in donor/donors engagement as well as in ensuring that all relevant stakeholders remain abreast of the educational needs, challenges and opportunities in north east of Syria.
- There is adequate supervision on administration and financial management of ECW funds in line with SCI financial and accounting policies.
- There is adequate supervision on the coordination and administration of contract agreements and contracts with implementing agencies for each project.
- There is adequate supervision for timely and accurate data collection and analysis to inform the joint reports to be submitted to ECW.
Reports Direct: Director of Program Operations
Reports Indirect : Director of Program Development and Quality
Staff reporting to this post: 3 staff
Budget Responsibilities: 2 million per year
Role Dimensions: Overall management of the PMU unit and liaison with sub-grantees and donors
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
- Program Management.
- Coordination and Donor liaison.
- Financial Management.
- Contract Administration.
- Project Monitoring and Evaluation.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- A Master’s degree in Education, Social Studies, International Development Studies, or in a relevant subject, or a BA with equivalent field experience
- At least 5 years of management experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with partners to implement quality and safe programming.
- Proven experience with coaching and mentoring teams.
- Experience with designing and implementing programmes that integrate child participation and accountability, as well as conflict sensitivity.
- Specific experience of working with a diverse portfolio of donors and well-versed in donor compliance for Syria response programming, including but not limited to diversion of aid, financing terrorism and an awareness of sanctions.
- Experience in effectively managing large budgets .
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- A team player who is able to work collaboratively and with people of diverse backgrounds
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English
- Experience working and building the capacity of partners on technical issues
- Language skills in Arabic
- Experience of remotely managing programmes in complex settings
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts
- Experience in representing an organisation in the coordination mechanism in emergency contexts.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.