What happened to the software industry? So many companies chase feature requests, always reacting, and end up creating bad, bloated software. They have forgotten what’s at the heart of the software business:
We have not forgotten. We are a software company, and software quality comes first. We literally won’t ship a new feature until we believe that the codebase is high quality. Simple, maintainable, best-practice code. That’s our top priority. Great code is the foundation of everything we do, because we are a software company to the core.
How do we create great software? By putting great software engineers in charge! We don’t want scrum masters, committee heads, or non-technical MBAs running our company. Everyone on our Engineering team is an expert coder, from entry-level developers to the most senior executives.
That’s right, our executives can still code. And they do! We host company-wide coding competitions all the time. Guess who won the last one? Someone in this role you’re applying to. That’s right, one of our top executives won the coding challenge.
Do you want to work at a company where the MBAs are in charge? We don’t. We are a software company run by software engineers. If you’re an executive with a heart of C++, come join us and lead the future of software engineering.What You Will Be Doing
Deep-Diving into our software development platform, analyzing quality failures and improvement opportunities all the way to the technical root cause. You will have access to a team of experts who work on Deep Dive analysis full time, giving you the power to get deep into an issue much faster than you could if you worked alone.
Hint: The root cause is always in the code!
Making Important Technical Decisions (ITDs). Find the patterns and figure out ways to improve the code quality of every product in the company (we have over 100 software products in our portfolio). Your decisions will drive the quality of our codebase, and drive the future of our software engineering operations overall.What You Won’t Be Doing
Vice President Of Engineering Key Responsibilities
- You will not be doing project management. We hate project management. We create crystal-clear roles, define specific work units, and automate the “telling people what to do” so you don’t have to.
- You will not be doing HR and administrative management. We want your technical expertise. We will never waste your time doing performance reviews, committees, etc.
- You will not be overseeing steady-state operations. Our culture is continuous improvement. If it’s bad, fix it. If it’s good, make it better.
- Analyze system-wide problems and opportunities to improve our software quality, getting all the way into the code.
- Review and approve deep dive analysis from the junior executive team. Teach them to get all the way into the code when they look at problems.
- Make important technical decisions to improve the quality of the entire software development operation. Find ways to make all of our software better.
- Technical/quantitative university degree.
- Approximately 10+ years of post-university experience. Of course we will consider the specific circumstances, but be aware that this job requires significant real-world experience.
- Hands-on software development experience, and still super technical. You’ll have to pass a coding test to get this job.
- Executive experience running enterprise software development. You need to have developed software at scale.
- Experience in a shared-services or centralized environment.
- Cloud development experience, especially AWS.
Hundreds of software businesses run on the Trilogy Business Platform. For three decades, Trilogy has been known for 3 things: Relentlessly seeking top talent, Innovating new technology, and incubating new businesses. Our technological innovation is spearheaded by a passion for simple customer-facing designs. Our incubation of new businesses ranges from entirely new moon-shot ideas to rearchitecting existing projects for today's modern cloud-based stack. Trilogy is a place where you can be surrounded with great people, be proud of doing great work, and grow your career by leaps and bounds.
There is so much to cover for this exciting role, and space here is limited. Hit the Apply button if you found this interesting and want to learn more. We look forward to meeting you!What to expect next:
- You will receive an email with a link to start your self-paced, online job application.
- Our hiring platform will guide you through a series of online “screening” assessments to check for basic job fit, job-related skills, and finally a few real-world job-specific assignments.
- You will be paired up with one of our recruiting specialists who can answer questions you might have about the process, role, or company, and help you get to the final interview step.
If you do not receive an email from us:
- First, emails may take up to 15 minutes to send, refresh and check again.
- Second, check your spam and junk folders for an email from Crossover.com, mark as “Not Spam” since you will receive other emails as well.
- Third, we will send to whatever email account you indicated on the Apply form - by default, that is the email address you use as your LinkedIn username and it might be different than the one you have already checked.
- If all else fails, just reset your password by visiting https://www.crossover.com/auth/reset-password if you already applied using LinkedIn EasyApply.
Crossover Job Code: LJ-3104-JO-Amman-VicePresidento