INTERSOS is an Italian humanitarian organization that works all over the world bringing assistance to people in danger, including victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. We intervene to effectively meet the needs of people in crisis, with particular attention to vulnerable groups, women and children. We provide primary assistance in terms of food, shelter, medical assistance and basic goods, while also ensuring that basic needs, education, safe water and health needs are met during the recovery phase.
Since 2012, INTERSOS has had operations in the Middle East to contribute towards ensuring emergency relief and social protection assistance for Syrian refugees fleeing their home in search of safety, with special focus on most vulnerable groups (children, women, elderly and persons with special needs).
In Jordan, INTERSOS has focused its humanitarian response on supporting Syrian families displaced across urban and rural areas, as well as vulnerable host communities, with a programme that concentrates on protection and protection mainstreaming within the different sectors of intervention that compose the Country Strategy (Gender Based Violence, Child Protection, Education in Emergency, WASH, Shelter and Basic Needs including Cash and Winterization Assistance).
OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION:
The Field Manager is in charge of implementing INTERSOS programmes in her/his field of operation, ensuring detailed and coordinated activity planning, support for programme monitoring, and oversight of all operational aspects of programme implementation.
She/he is responsible for delivering planned services to beneficiaries in an accountable, efficient and effective manner, in compliance with relevant standard operating procedures, established and applied (INTERSOS, UN, international) protocols and standards for protection (SPHERE, IASC, PHAST, case management, referral etc.).
She/He provides overall leadership for protection programs and operations in his/her field of operation and contributes to the management of the overall country program as a member of the extended Senior Management Team (eSMT).
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Manager, the Field Manager oversees opening, closing and/or regular running of one or more bases including management of all or part of support staff, program support activities, administration, and security of the base, ensuring that all field activities are implemented in line with INTERSOS principles and guidelines, in an efficient and effective manner.
- Supervise the work of the field team members, ensuring that protection standards are upheld.
- Lead the field team to achieve quality planned project outputs and objectives, based on each project design.
- Lead the development of detailed weekly work-plans, allocating staff and resources in an efficient and effective way.
- Ensure all teams are fully supported in terms of technical protection support, management and coordination, in particular coordination between different projects on-going in the field of operation.
- Regularly provide written programmatic reports and contribute to the preparation of status and progress reports.
- Promote a good working environment for field staff and lead internal dialogue and collaboration across sector/project teams.
- With the support of the Technical Coordinator(s) contribute to the evaluation of the impact of interventions and remaining needs, including collecting and analyzing data that could support an analysis in terms of: main protection concerns and trends; geographical locations, as well as trends in vulnerabilities; impact of the proposed action and possible way forward.
- Use the tools and terminology of project cycle management to communicate project activities and objectives to the field team.
- Under the supervision of the Programme Manager, liaise with targeted communities, key informants, local authorities, and any key stakeholder that could support and inform the program.
- Represent INTERSOS in formal communications with local authorities.
- Represent INTERSOS in a positive and professional manner to contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of INTERSOS mandate, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to other actors.
- Ensure the confidentiality of INTERSOS and beneficiary data.
- Ensure field office compliance with established INTERSOS global procedures and rules on finance, logistics and programmes.
The Field Manager is responsible for overseeing the management of finances and administration on district level.
- Ensure the proper management of finances on the bases including planning (liquidity request), authorization of expenses (PRs), and reporting.
- Ensure good HR practice for all field office staff, including the promotion of a friendly and professional working environment, and providing opportunities for staff development and learning.
- Directly line manage: Senior CMs, Senior SWs and Community Mobilizers of their field office, with the Technical Support of the Protection Coordinator and GBV/CM Specialist.
- Ensure staff performance appraisals are conducted regularly as per INTERSOS HR policies and procedures.
- Together with the Protection Coordinator and GBV/CM Specialist, provide input to training for national staff to build their capacity on specific technical topics (i.e. general protection standards and protocols, protection sector specific guidelines and tools, and minimum standard training on Psychological First Aid; PSEA including complaint mechanism, GBV, CP, and PWSN concepts and trends, safe referrals, etc)
- Proactively engage with the Programme Manager, Head of Mission, Protection Coordinator, Accountability Officer and GBV/CM Specialist, Senior Logistic Officer, and other key staff in the Country Office.
- Build a positive and productive working relationship with staff in the field of operation.
Ensure the application of, and compliance with, INTERSOS security protocols and policies.
Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, human rights, management, or any related field.
Masters degree is preferable.
Ideally at least 5 years of professional experience in the protection sector of the humanitarian field and protection staff management role.
- Excellent understanding of general protection standards and protocols including GBV, CP and PWSN sector guidelines and interventions including Cash for Protection, Case Management and Referral Pathways, MHPSS, etc.
- Excellent understanding of project cycle management (formal training/certification in PCM would be an advantage).
- Experience implementing protection programmes would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated problem solving ability.
- Experience working with an INGO in humanitarian emergency operating context.
- Working knowledge of donor requirements and compliance issues.
- Good working knowledge of MS Office or equivalent.
- Oversight of basic admin/finance issues.
- Ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated experience in staff management.
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS.
- Arabic Language
- English Language is mandatory
- Works well in a team.
- Tolerance for differences, and comfortable in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to work and adapt in different environments
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
- Practical and problem-solver
INTERSOS is an equal opportunities employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, ethnic origin, or religious orientation.
The centrality of human being is the key principle underpinning all INTERSOS’ values and interventions. It underlines the importance of the principles of equality, justice, peace, solidarity and the duty of every human being to help all those in need or distress, without influence of any kind. We value:
- Sensitive to local cultures
- Attentive to local capacity
- Professional in solidarity