ABOUT MERCY CORPS:
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps’ Nubader (we initiate in Arabic) model of comprehensive positive youth development programming grounded in its Profound Stress and Attunement Framework (PSA), which takes a neuroscience approach to understand and mitigate the impact of long-term stressors like poverty, war and displacement on adolescent development. Mercy Corps partners with local CBOs to build their capacities and renovate their centers to become more youth friendly and safe community action hubs to partner with young people, families and caregivers as well as community leaders to improve social stability and ultimately make youth and their communities more resilient.
Nubader: Ambassadors of Nature (AoN) project works with young people, ages 15-25, their families and caregivers to increase social cohesion among vulnerable Jordanian and Syrian male and female youth at-risk for violence and aggression by enhancing psychosocial wellbeing and supporting gender equitable households and community safe spaces, all reinforced at the family and community level and rooted in environmental stewardship. Innovating upon the proven Nature Club component to intentionally increase cohesion and engage them in building local ecotourism economic potential in Jordan. Mercy Corps will work with Ebeen Ebleen Sports Club in Ajloun to reach and engage people from Jerash and Irbid especially Nubader alumni and work with them on an expanded curriculum that engages families, tackles harmful gender norms and risky behaviors and establishes youth linkages to local ecotourism initiatives and opportunities.
Nubader: Youth Activism Beyond Borders (YABB) project will incorporate a multifaceted approach to address the needs of Jordanian and American youth through partnership with AMIDEAST (Jordan and the U.S.) and a local community based organization ALQantara Center in Ma’an. with aim to strengthen ties between the U.S. and Jordan through youth civic engagement programming that highlights shared values, promotes multiculturalism and builds positive civic engagement. The virtual connections will be developed through shared interest and experience in positive civic engagement strategies such as debate, environmental stewardship and drama as the program will provide extensive training for Youth Leaders, adolescents and parents in Jordan. These connections will be guided by positive civic engagement strategies and grounded in Mercy Corps neuroscience based model addressing the psychosocial needs of youth in order to enhance their civic engagement.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The M&E Coordinator will be responsible for providing technical leadership and assistance on information management and monitoring, evaluation in the project. S/he will work closely with the youth civic engagement advisor and Nubader technical team leads on developing indicators and M&E systems in order to track and report to the project indicators. The M&E Coordinator will also ensure timely and quality implementation of the development and implementation of M&E systems and data collection tools focused on analysis and reporting to ensure quality reporting to the donor. S/he will provide support for information management systems development and maintenance, data analysis and reporting, and capacity building of staff. Additionally, s/he will work closely with partner CBOs to build their capacity in monitoring and evaluating their hub activities to ensure sustainability of CBO functionality.
Additionally, the M&E Coordinator will be taking the lead on development of a systematic and realistic monitoring plan, contribute to project design, advice and reports during the implementation and evaluate the project on a regular basis and by the end of the project as well. Moreover, s/he will be responsible for taking the lead on quantitative data analysis using different software including statistical software such as SPSS in order to provide quality quantitative impact and evaluation reports.
Also, He/She will support Mercy Corps’ Community Accountability Reporting Mechanism (CARM) through leading its related tasks for Nubader.
The M&E Coordinator will report directly to the Youth Civic Engagement Advisor and work closely with MEL Advisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
MONITORING, EVALUATION AND LEARNING, INFORMATION AND QUALITY MANAGEMENT
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation systems and tools, data collection, data entry, data cleaning and storage are appropriately implemented by staff and volunteers.
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation data is analyzed to an appropriate standard and that the results of analysis inform programme decision making.
- Coordinate implementation of project impact evaluation and research.
- Contribute to selecting required data analysis technology platforms for M&E purposes.
- Contribute to selecting required data visualization technology platform for M&E purposes.
- Contribute to transition from old data collection and visualization technology platforms to selected new platforms.
- Lead on development of a systematic and realistic monitoring plan that captures quantitative and qualitative data to report on project key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Contribute to project design to ensure adherence to Mercy Corps’ MEL best practices, including the use of standardized indicators, form templates and documentation methodologies.
- Develop data collection tools and instruments that are essential in monitoring project progress against set milestones and evaluating the impact of project activities in targeted communities.
- Establish M&E and information management systems and beneficiary database systems in partner CBOs operating in the project, taking into consideration the political context and the confidentiality of the data collected.
- Coordinate the data collection and analysis and support in the implementation of surveys, focus group discussions, interviews and follow-up on monitoring and evaluation exercises for various initiatives in host communities.
- Support the set-up and implementation of a holistic MEL system that uses open source software and flexible cloud solutions to more accurately collect, monitor, verify and document program activities.
- Support Mercy Corps’ MEL advisor in establishing and running accountability mechanism.
- Contribute in monitoring efforts in the project to ensure full compliance with standards for learning, documentation, dissemination and use of relevant learning.
- Ensure compliance with relevant Mercy Corps minimum standards and donor policies and regulations
- Assist in developing quality management standards to mainstream effective training programming in partner CBOs.
CAPACITY BUILDING AND MENTORING
- Provide training and mentoring in the development of M&E plans, M&E tools as well as survey design, methodology, data collection and other skills as required for assessing the impact of programs.
- Plan, lead and evaluate regular M&E training workshops for M&E capacity building for partner CBO focal points in Arabic and English.
- Lead on conducting basic and advanced M&E training (including data collection methods, capturing success stories, analyzing and interpreting data, and reporting) to build and raise capacity of project teams and CBO personnel.
- Provide continuous support and mentoring to the project M&E Assistant to undertake enhanced M&E tasks in the project.
- Provide continuous support and mentoring to M&E focal points to lead on advanced M&E activities in partner CBOs
- Ensure appropriate internal communication and feedback systems are in place and functioning so that M&E informs project planning and implementation.
- Ensure high quality and timely preparation of M&E data for reports to donors and partners such as the annual, quarterly and monthly reports (focusing largely on high-level indicators)
- Ensure that research conducted is analyzed to expected quality standards and reports compiled timely and disseminated for sharing and learning Contribute to the preparation of marketing materials and fundraising proposals
- Present and disseminate monitoring and evaluation findings to management, MC higher management, HQ representatives and donors.
- Lead on designing project final evaluation plan and contribute in developing evaluation tools and question.
- Lead on project quantitative analysis and reporting using SPSS and other statistical analysis software.
- Participate in qualitative and quantitative data collection for evaluation purposes.
- Provide technical support and guidance in project qualitative analysis.
- Lead on maintaining and reporting on Mercy Corps’ Tola website.
- Lead on collecting, compiling and disseminating project team field reports or progress reports on a regular basis
- Contribute in preparing MC internal progress reports, donor reports and stakeholders reports as requested
- Contribute in documentation, project data, lessons learnt and best practices for internal and external sharing
PROJECT COORDINATION ACTIVITIES
- Assist the Programme Manager in all operations related to the project implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting
- Manage and monitor consultants’ work on a regular basis and review deliverable provided to make sure they’re meeting the minimum standards.
- Assist in facilitating field visits for Mercy Corps staff and donor agency visitors
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Other duties as assigned
PEOPLE (STAFF MANAGEMENT)
- Effectively manage CBO personnel implementing M&E functions and coordinate the day-to-day activities including capacity building, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluating, and reporting.
- Design and implement a training program for local and CBOs’ M&E Focal Points, youth workers, case coordinators, and CBO management staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for activities and align understanding of project objectives.
- Ensure that partner M&E systems meet the required technical expectations/are in line with relevant programming guidance and data protection protocols.
- Conduct monitoring of CBO personnel engaged in M&E activities, including pre/post assessments, attendance, outreach, and filing
- Establish and maintain a reporting system (or database) for M&E Focal Points, ensuring that reporting is timely and technically accurate.
- Evaluate performance of M&E Focal Points and ensure training needs are met in a timely manner.
As part of MC's commitment to organizational learning and in support of the understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve – all MC team members are expected to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: M&E Assistant and M&E focal points in the local partner CBOs
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Youth Civic Engagement Advisor
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Youth Civic Engagement Advisor, M&E Advisor, and partner CBO technical support focal points, Project Team Leaders, Coordinators and Officers
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum BA degree in Sociology, Economics, Statistics or other relevant field
- Minimum 4 year of experience in monitoring and evaluation of development and/or relief programs
- Demonstrated skills in data collection, statistical analysis methods, and database management
- Experience developing and delivering training on M&E
- Excellent technical writing skills, including reports, best practices, cases studies, etc.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Excel and Word
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel from Amman/northern, southern Jordan
- Fluency in Arabic and English
- Deep commitment to humanitarian principles and values
- Willingness to learn new skills and methodologies
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Demonstrated creative problem-solving skills
- Security, political and cultural awareness
- Ability to provide a high quality reports in English
- Ability to multi-task while meeting several pressing deadlines
- Mature, responsible, and diplomatic in their interactions with others;
- Pays attention to detail and is meticulous, thorough, and results-oriented
- Attention to Details/Accuracy
- Focus on Quality
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Prioritization Skills
MERCY CORPS DIVERSITY STATEMENT
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
SAFEGUARDING & ETHICS
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times.